Sunday, March 27, 2011

Homemade Cleaners


I have to confess a bit of an obsession with my homemade cleaners.  I love them!  They smell good, work wonderfully, and I think they cost me about $.25 a bottle to make (I actually priced the ingredients.  It is around $.06 cents without the scent), including scenting them with essential oils.  They are also pretty non-toxic, and safe to use around kids.

I put ammonia in mine because ammonia is amazing at lifting dirt.  My sister, the hair stylist, reminded me that ammonia is what they use to lift color and make you blonde.  But, ammonia isn't the nicest chemical.  On it's own, it has a wretched scent, and it is a pretty serious chemical.  You can make this cleaner without ammonia, but I don't think it works as well.  Cleaners that you buy in the store, especially ones like 409 have a lot of ammonia in them (just smell it next time--I'm pretty much sure when they were testing different formulas that they finally settled on the one with the most ammonia and colored it blue).  My cleaner uses a tablespoon of ammonia (.5 oz) to 28 oz of water, meaning that it is very well diluted.  It is the smallest amount I could use, and still get some lift.  By the way, if you look on the cleaning aisle, ammonia is usually hiding in an innocent jug of clear liquid on the bottom shelf. 

The Recipes:

All Purpose Cleaner
In a spray bottle (I just saved empty ones that I had bought) pour in:
1/4 cup  Distilled White Vinegar
1 tablespoon Ammonia
1 teaspoon Borax (found by the laundry soaps)
A few drops dish soap (as in 5-7 little drops)
10 or so drops of essential oil (technically optional--but it is my favorite part.  I love mint, lavender, any citrus, and ylang-ylang.  I've also tried coconut extract, but the oils work better.  The oils that you use in those burners with the tea lights also work.)
A drop of food coloring (because then it doesn't look homemade.  This is completely unessential, but I like it)
Hot water

Instructions:
Mix the vinegar, ammonia, borax, and dish soap in the bottom of your spray bottle by shaking it a little.  Add your essential oil.  I add about 10 drops, swirl it and then check to see if I can still smell the vinegar and ammonia.  I hate the smell of those two, and I've found if the essential oil overpowers their scent before I add the water, I'm golden.  Then fill the bottle with hot tap water, swirl and if you want, add the drop or two of food coloring.

Window Cleaner
2 T Ammonia
2 T Vinegar
2 T Rubbing Alcohol (it helps it evaporate a little faster and streak less)
10 drops Mint essential oil 

Mix in a spray bottle, fill the rest with hot water. 

Simple things make me happy.  I have busy, messy little ones, and I used to get frustrated with how much surface cleaner I would go through because it is expensive.  Now, no more guilt, it works just as well, and smells better!

It is rumored that my aunt has an amazing, easy laundry soap recipe.  As soon as I get it, I will share!

No comments:

Post a Comment